NGO Pro choice was founded in May 2001 with a main goal – to assist in the coordination and co-operation of various projects of several human rights intitutions, feminists and women NGO´s.
Our main goals are:
- Observance of the human rights of women and children
- Elimination of all forms of discrimination of women, forcing equal opportunities
- Gender equality and implementation of gender mainstreaming
- Protection of reproductive rights through the education towards the planned parenthood
- Elimination and prevention of violence against women
Our main activities:
- Campaign against deliberalisation of abortion law in Slovakia. Pro choice released a proclamation, which was published in many news. The proclamation was signed by 1320 organizations, women and men and it has been handed over to chairman of the National Council of the Slovak Republic as a protest note against the effort to change the abortion law in Slovakia. Some expressions of the signatures have been published and are released on our home page.
- Campaign Fifth Woman combating violence against women. The first nationwide campaign on the violence against women has had deep impact on the public opinion. The message “Every fifth woman is abused” has become to a fact often repeated in media and news. The campaign prepared public opinion and political situation for necessary legislative changes for more effective protection of victims of domestic violence
- Campaign Women Voices – non-partisan pre-election campaign to increase women voters‘ participation in the 2002 elections, formulate the most acute women‘s issues as the women’s agenda and analyze political parties election programs from the women issues point of view in order to explain their intentions and real possibilities to women and to explain the importance of the EU membership for women.
- Protection of reproductive and sexual rights of women in Slovakia includin oppossition to proposed Treaty with the Holy See on the Right to exercice Objection of Concience.
- Elaboration of Shadow report on 2nd and 3rd Peridocal report of Slovak Government to CEDAW.
Pro Choice is member of international organization ASTRA and co-operate with many women NGO’ s in Slovakia and over the word.
Important analysis and documents in English: